Mystery Author Betty Sullivan La Pierre

Anne - Dropping by for a visit today is mystery author Betty Sullivan La Pierre. What is the title of your latest release, Betty?

Betty – THE ARCHER. It’s book number 13 of the Hawkman series.

Anne – Of all the characters you’ve created, does one hold a special place in your heart? Why?

Betty - Yes. My main character, Tom Casey, better known as Hawkman. I didn’t realize it for a long time, but Hawkman was developing in my mind way back in high school. A picture of a man with a falcon on his arm, stuck in my brain for years before I actually did anything with him. I’ve developed his personality through each book, so my reader could see his different sides. I’ve had fans ask me if he was real and if so where could they meet him. One reader said she wanted to kidnap Hawkman for herself. He’s a good, yet very tough man.

Anne - What is the hardest part of writing for you?

Betty - The middle of a book. I have a tendency to rush through a story and had to discipline myself to slow down. Keeping the tension and suspense building through the middle of the book has always been hard for me, but I think I’m finally getting the hang of it.

Anne - Any words of advice for struggling, unpublished writers?

Betty - Never, never, give up. I don’t care how many rejections you get, don’t let it discourage you if you really want to write. Develop broad shoulders and thick skin, because there are people out there that want to read what you’ve written. So, charge ahead!!

Anne - Outside of writing, what accomplishment are you most proud?

Betty - After being widowed at the young age of 27 with two young boys to raise alone, I went back to college to get my teacher’s certificate. Three years later, I was introduced to one of my girlfriend’s husband’s brother. We hit it off and were married the next year. He took on my two sons as if they were his own, then five years later, we had a son. I can say, I’m very proud that these three boys grew up, graduated from college and are doing very well in their lives. It’s made me very proud to think I must have done something right.  

Anne – Indeed, you did! Would you share an excerpt from THE ARCHER with us?

Betty – Of course.

Hawkman sat at the desk of his Medford, Oregon office, coffee mug in hand, reading the newspaper, when the door flew open and a woman screamed, “No! No!” as she fell on her side into the room. She kicked the door closed, then braced her boots against it as if to keep out an intruder.

Dropping his cup on the table, Hawkman jumped up, pulled the Beretta pistol from his shoulder holster, and leaped into a poised position beside the entry. “What the hell’s going on?”

“Don’t let him come in,” she sobbed. “He’s going to hurt me.”

“Who?”

“That horrible man.”

“Move back. I’ll check it out.”

“Don’t go outside,” she said, dropping her feet from the door, and scooting on her jeans-clad butt toward the center of the room.

Hawkman dropped to his haunches, opened the metal door a few inches and peered outside. He scanned the area, but saw nothing out of the ordinary. Easing through the opening, his weapon ready, he cautiously made his way down the stairs, scrutinizing the nearby alley and grounds. He checked under the stairwell and peeked around the side of the building. Seeing no one who appeared suspicious, he holstered the gun and walked around to the front. Soon, he made his way back to the office. When he entered the room, the female raised her hand to her mouth, then in a relieved voice, squeaked out,  

“Thank God, it’s you. Is he gone?”

He sank into the chair. “I didn’t see a soul out there. Tell me about this man. Is he your boyfriend, husband, or a friend?”

She still sat on the floor, legs crossed in an Indian fashion. She pivoted on her hips until she faced him. Reaching over her shoulder, she brought the long auburn braid hanging down her back forward and began fingering it. She glanced up at him with big brown eyes. “I don’t know who he is.”

Hawkman studied the woman’s features. She had high cheek bones, a sharp chin, a pug nose splattered with freckles across the bridge, and no makeup. Not a real pretty face, but definitely not ugly. She reminded him of a country girl with her jeans, plaid shirt, unzipped hooded sweatshirt and cowboy boots. “What’s your name?”

“Laura”

Anne – Super excerpt, Betty! Thank you. I’d also like to mention readers can view the book trailer for THE ARCHER HERE. Or drop by Betty’s website HERE. Happy reading! PLUS, commenters will be added to a draw to win an e-book version of THE ARCHER. Betty will select the winner at random.

* * *
Do you write mysteries? 
Want your latest release featured?
Email - annekalbert AT gmail DOT com
* * *

12 comments:

booklover0226 said...

Good morning, All.

I enjoyed reading the interview; it's always great to learn more about an author.

I discovered the Hawkman series a couple of years ago and instantly fell in love. I'm thrilled there is a book 13! I loved the excerpt and am ready for more!!

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Anne K. Albert said...

Thanks for dropping by, Tracy, and I agree. The Hawkman series is definitely on my TBR list!

kmt1976 said...

I love the Hawkman and his lady. This new lady really sounds interesting. Thanks for the excerpt.

kmt1976 said...

Sorry. kce1976 At hotmail DOT com

Judy said...

Another fantastic Hawkman series book. I love your books. I really enjoyed your post and learning a little about you.

Judy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

hotcha12 said...

FANTASTIC BETTY I REALLY ENJOYED AND WILL LOOK FOR ANNE.

hotcha12 said...

I GOT HOOKED ON THE HAWKMAN AND WANT THEM ALL!!!

Betty Sullivan La Pierre said...

Thank you so much for all your wonderful comments. I will be drawing a name to receive the e-book of the Archer and will notify you very soon.

Hugs to all,

Betty Sullivan La Pierre

Betty Sullivan La Pierre said...

Anne, I want to thank you for having me on your blog. I thoroughly enjoyed it and made some lovely friends.

Thanks so much,
Betty Sullivan La Pierre

Betty Sullivan La Pierre said...

Judy won the draw for 'THE ARCHER'...

HAPPY READING...JUDYL....

Betty

Anne K. Albert said...

I'm so pleased to have had you as my guest, Betty! Thanks for dropping by.

hotcha12 said...

CONGRATS JUDY!!