Featuring...Susan Santangelo


Please extend a warm welcome to my guest, mystery author Susan Santangelo.

Susan has been a feature writer, drama critic, and editor for daily and weekly newspapers and magazines in the New York metropolitan area, including a stint at Cosmopolitan magazine. 

She is also a member of Sisters in Crime and the Cape Cod Writers Center, and divides her time between the Connecticut shoreline and Cape Cod, MA. She shares her life with her husband Joe, and three English cocker spaniels: Tillie, Tucker and Lucy. 

Anne - Welcome, Susan! So glad you could drop by. Tell us about your book.

Susan - Moving Can Be Murder is the second in my Baby Boomer Mystery series, and continues the story of typical boomers Carol Andrews and her Beloved Husband Jim as they travel through a minefield of obstacles on the way to their golden years.

In my first book, Retirement Can Be Murder, Carol dreads Jim’s upcoming retirement more than a root canal without Novocain. She can’t imagine anything worse than a husband underfoot 24/7, with time on his hands and nothing to fill it, except interfering in the day-to-day activities of the household and driving her crazy. Until Jim is suspected of murdering his retirement coach.

In Moving Can Be Murder, Carol succumbs to husband Jim’s insistence that their antique house is now too much to handle and reluctantly agrees to look at downsizing options. After endless tours through active adult communities – what Carol calls their “Geezer Tour” --  they settle on one that seems to have it all. But moving plans come to a screeching halt when their would-be home buyer turns up dead in their living room the night before the house closing. The book will be released on May 1, 2011.

Anne - What is the hardest part about writing for you?

Susan - Staying on-task. I don’t have one particular time of day that I always sit down at the computer and write. I’m very easily distracted. But once I start, and get into my “zone,” I get so immersed in the characters and the story that I can’t stop!

Anne - What is the most surprising thing you’ve learned about yourself from your writing?

Susan - I’ve learned to respect and trust my own instincts. I was raised with lots of rules – don’t do this, don’t do that. In writing, I don’t have to ask anyone’s permission to do anything. My instincts are all mine, and they work for me. When I started writing my first mystery, I was doing it for myself. I’m still surprised by all the readers I hear from, either by e-mail or at book events, who tell me I’ve captured their lives. Without the dead bodies, of course!   

Anne - Any words of advice for struggling, unpublished authors?

Susan - I feel like I’m still a struggling author, though I am published. My best advice would be to believe in yourself and keep on writing. And investigate the many resources available these days to become published. The e-book market is just exploding these days. It’s not for everyone, but certainly worth checking out.

Anne - Outside of writing, what accomplishment are you most proud of?

Susan - I’m a 12 ½ year breast cancer survivor. I co-founded a non-profit in Connecticut many years ago called The Breast Cancer Survival Center, which provides post-treatment support and education for survivors and families. Part of the money raised from the Baby Boomer mysteries is donated to the program. We’ve touched thousands of lives since we started offering services in 1999.

Anne - Tell us where we can reach you and buy your books.

Susan - The books are available on Amazon.com and at selected indie bookstroes in CT and MA. Retirement Can Be Murder is also available as an e-book on Kindle and Nook. Books can also be ordered by contacting me directly through my website.

I am also on Facebook, but not Twitter. I also blog the first and third Sundays of every month at Murderous Musings.

Anne - Congratulations Susan, on the release of Moving Can Be Murder, and more importantly on being a breast cancer survivor. You are a true inspiration!

* * *
Are you a mystery author? Do you have a recent release?
I'd love to interview you and talk about your book(s). 

Email me: annekalbert AT gmail DOT com
Remember to mention “MRM blog feature” in the heading. 

* * *

No comments: