Let's Talk Writing

On Saturday I attended a writers workshop and multi-author book signing. The organizer of the event did everything right. She promoted the be-jeepers out of it in print and on the radio. She worked long and hard for much of the past year to prepare for this day.

(Kudos, Audrey!)

It should have been a roaring success. Unfortunately, only a few readers showed up. Book sales were dismal. Some writers grumbled and griped. I did my best to smile and be gracious. (Hey, I'm a writer, not a saint.) Besides, it wasn't as if anyone was to blame. It just happened.

What got me through the day were the people I met.

Hobnobbing with individuals who share my love for the written word is always a rush and a super way to spend ANY day. We chatted about our books. We shared secrets of how we write. We discussed our individual processes, our quirks and yes, even our warts. We even ventured into cyberspace and spouted our views on social media. (Not surprisingly those opinions varied from a hate to love relationship!)

As I packed up my books and banners and headed home I realized what I'd been missing lately is that personal connection. It's easy for a writer to get bogged down and exist inside a vacuum. Alone. It's okay for short periods of time, even necessary sometimes, but eventually we need to come up for air.

Sunday morning with my coffee cup in hand I thought about the reasons why I write. I write to find out what happens next. But it's the characters themselves that fascinate me and grab my attention. Whether real or fictional I love to watch people in action. I want to figure out what makes them tick. I want to grasp their kernel of truth and hold it in my hand. It's an obsession I can't explain, but it's real and gives me joy!

On Friday I'm returning to my passion. People. I've got a great line up of authors to interview. First up is Lillian R. Melendez. Join me for Let's Talk Writing!

* * *

3 comments:

Sun Singer said...

I went to a book signing once in which a widely known author said it was nice to see us all there; in the past, he'd had signings where the only people who showed up were his relatives, and he had to pay them to come.

The time you spent talking with the other writers, though, might have made it all worth it. We get so isolated in spite of Twitter, Facebook and our blogs.

Malcolm

Anne K. Albert said...

I'd probably have to pay my relatives, too. Not all of them...just a few! ;-)

Shelley Workinger said...

My friend used to work in the same building as a Barnes & Noble in Manhattan and he said the turn-out for even the huge names was dismal. I, too, see those group signings much more as a social event than a sales event and love chatting with the other authors who feel the same way ;)