Lillian R. Melendez's Dismantling Vindictiveness

My guest to day is author Lillian Melendez. She was born in New York City, and grew up in South Orange, New Jersey. Writing since childhood, she began to publish her work when she was very young. The arts as a whole have always been an interest, but creative writing is her passion.

Lillian received a B.A. degree in English with a minor in Psychology from Trinity University, in Washington, D.C. In addition to her education, Lillian completed internships, did freelancing, and worked in libraries, which gave her more practice for her writing and researching skills.

She specializes in the Mystery/Psychological Suspense genre and is a member of Mystery Writers of America.

Anne - Welcome to my little corner of cyberspace, Lillian. I understand that yesterday your debut novel was released. That’s a milestone in every author’s life. Congratulations! Without any further ado, please tell us about your book.

Lillian - The title of my novel is Dismantling Vindictiveness.

Christopher Parker is finding it hard to believe that his architect firm is being affected by the recession. His firm's overall budget is decreasing in a rapid pace, employees are complaining that their funds are being tampered with, and the unforeseen attacks on top employees outside of his firm and murder, has Christopher's heart racing.

Witnessing his own company's downward spiral, Christopher holds suspicions, but does not accurately know who is responsible for the sabotage. Through newspaper articles published by the Disclosure Daily Tribune, he is getting closer and closer to the suspect. At the same time, Christopher's health is declining and he is trying to make peace with those he hurt in the past before it's too late. To his surprise, help comes from the unlikeliest of sources.

Anne – Where can readers get a copy?


Anne - Have you experience writers block? If so, how did you work through it?

Lillian - For me, writer's block means that I write too much and I need to put my notebook down for a day or two. When my brain can't think of what to write, it lets me know that I have to take a break. Writing is not only a hobby, but a job. Just like a 9 to 5 gig, if you work without a lunch break, you can't really function later. When I take breaks, and do other activities and go back to writing, I feel refreshed and write like an energizer bunny.

Anne – I’m slowly figuring that out for myself. Great advice, although as of yet I’m hardly an energizer bunny! Do you have any words of advice for struggling, unpublished writers?

Lillian - Never give up. Of course, you hear these three words all the time. Every failure is an opportunity to learn something. Failure leads to success if you continue on. Any form of education in writing is important. I have to emphasize this. I wrote since I was a child, but through teachers, I learned various writing techniques.

Anne –  Tell us about the defining moment when you felt as if you’d finally made it as an author.

Lillian - After submitting dozens of query letters and manuscripts to agents and publishing houses, when I got the news that I was accepted by a publisher I was more in a daze than excited. Once the sense of unbelief worn off, I was thrilled.

Anne – I know that feeling. Same thing happened to me. I received “the call”, then sat back in my chair and just sort of mellowed right out. I’m a little disappointed really. Although I’ve never been a screamer, it would’ve made a much better story!

What is the most surprising thing you’ve learned about yourself from writing?

Lillian - I like my day job. Yet, when it comes to what you love to do, the saying is true; do what you love and you never have to work a day in your life. I love being a novelist. That being said, I want to also add that I love sharing stories with readers. Any manuscript inside my desk draw means that the work is not yet completed until the story line is fully developed. I write to give meaning to something. Like all authors, in my opinion, I write with a purpose.

Anne – Where can readers find you online?

Lillian – At my website and on Twitter.

Anne – Thank you so much for dropping by today, Lillian. I wish you every success with Dismantling Vindictiveness.

Any comments or questions? Lillian and/or I will gladly reply. :)


* * *


6 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Great interview! I agree about loving what you do. I work every day of the week because I love to write. It's never a chore.

The Writing Goddess said...

Congratulations, Anne, on a great interview, and Lillian, on your book! Sounds intriguing.

Anne K. Albert said...

Thank you, Kelly and Writing Goddess!

jenny milchman said...

Love hearing your story--it is so fascinating how every writer has his or her own journey. Congratulations on the release of your debut--what a big Moment :)

Lillian R. Melendez said...

Thank you all for your warm support.

Maggie Toussaint said...

Enjoyed the interview, and I loved your idea of putting the notebook away for a few days when you get "blocked." Allowing the creativity tank to fill up again is so very important to writers.

Best wishes with your release!

Maggie Toussaint
DEATH, ISLAND STYLE coming soon