What is Your Achilles Heel to Getting Published?

Whether you think you can or think you can't - you are right. 

~Henry Ford



This post begins with that particular quote because self-confidence has always been my Achilles heel. For far too many years, I was my greatest and most ardent critique. My writing career suffered as a result. While I could blame a majority of those negative thoughts and actions on my childhood, I won’t. That’s another story, and really not all that interesting or pertinent. Yes, it's true that one’s past can affect our present. It does not, however, determine our future. WE DO. J

This post marks day 1 of the Mystery We Write Blog Tour. I’m thrilled to be in the company of 14 talented and award winning mystery authors for this virtual tour. We’re doing interviews, guest posts, offering writing tips, and of course, talking about our books. Speaking of books, more than 60 (yes, I said SIXTY!) e-copy and/or print books are up for grabs from now until December 9.

Today I’m featured on Beth Anderson’s blog. She asked me to talk about the hardest thing I learned on the road to publication. As you might have already guessed, that would be the merits of self-confidence. J

Drop by, leave a comment and you’re eligible to win one of three e-copies of FRANK, INCENSE AND MURIEL, the first book of my Muriel Reeves Mysteries.

Did I mention Frank, Incense and Muriel received the 2011 Holt Medallion Award of Merit? That did a lot to boost my self-confidence. I felt like the actress Sally Fields when she won the Oscar. “You like me! You really, really like me!”

All joking aside, here’s the story blurb:

FRANK, INCENSE AND MURIEL is set the week before Christmas when the stress of the holidays is enough to frazzle anyone’s nerves. Tensions increase when a friend begs Muriel to team up with a sexy private investigator to find a missing woman. Forced to deal with an embezzler, kidnapper, and femme fatale is bad enough, but add Muriel’s zany yet loveable family to the mix and their desire to win the coveted D-DAY (Death Defying Act of the Year) Award, and the situation can only get worse.

See you at Beth’s blog, and don't forget to leave a comment to win one of three e-copies of Frank, Incense and Muriel. (Or, you can leave a comment here.) The winners will be announced on December 9.

Good luck!


* * *

2 comments:

Susanne Drazic said...

I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to getting published. Even my family tells me that.

CONGRATS on the 2011 Holt Medallion Award of Merit!

Anne K. Albert said...

I completely understand, Susanne! Been there, held myself back.

Figure out why you're your own worst enemy. The reason may surprise you. If you went to Beth's blog you know being in the public eye was my greatest fear. Using an AKA eliminated that, and allowed me to achieve my dream.

Happy writing!