Jackie Kingon, Author of Chocolate Chocolate Moons, Talks Writing


My guest today is Jackie Kingon. Jackie is a teacher, writer, and artist. She has published three articles in The New York Times focusing on education and autism. Flying Island Press-Pieces of Eight, The Fringe Magazine, Static Movement Magazine and Voice Needs (recordings for the blind) in League, TX. have published short stories. She holds a Master’s degree from Columbia University Teachers College in New York City; a Bachelor of Arts from Lesley University in Cambridge, MA; and a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree from the School of Visual Arts in New York City. Her art work is in the Estee Lauder collection. Chocolate Chocolate Moons is her first novel.

Anne – Welcome to the Muriel Reeves Mysteries, Jackie. Make yourself comfortable and let me refill your coffee mug. Now, let's talk writing! Tell us about your book.

Jackie - Chocolate Chocolate Moons is a humorous futuristic mystery and it will be available to readers in July. (Please check my website for details!). It tells the story of plus-sized Molly Marbles, who wins a scholarship to Armstrong Uniersity on the Moon where her weight drops from 287 to 47.6 without so much as passing up a piece of pie.  But when her boyfriend Drew Barron dumps her and jumps at a job at Congress Drugs, a company that makes low calorie food supplements, Molly’s weight is the least of her woes. And, when her favorite chocolate treat, Chocolate Moons are poisoned, She finds she has bitten off more than she can chew. Chocolate Chocolate Moons is aimed at sophisticated readers tired of counting calories and want a good laugh.

Anne - Would you share an excerpt of Chocolate Chocolate Moons with us?

Jackie - I would be delighted.

“Congratulations, plus-size student! Based on your cholesterol readings, body-fat ratio, Fibonacci number sequence for digesting chocolate, and high school cafeteria records, you have won the Good and Plenty Scholarship for two at Neil Armstrong University on the Moon. Call this toll-free number to collect your prize.”

Until this moment, my life has been filled with diets, promises to diet, failed diets, exercise, therapies, nutritionists, acupuncture, hypnosis, and memories of falling over the marbles rolled in my path at school as my classmates laughed and yelled, “Molly Marbles, round as a marble, fat as a moon.”

I suck in my breath, pull up my bra straps, push my hair behind my moon-shaped face, crack each finger and toe, and call the number. Then I call my boyfriend, Drew Barron, who is far heavier than I am.

“Pack your bags, sweetheart. We’re joining the class of 2333 at Neil Armstrong University on the Moon where the gravity is light, the classes are right, and the livin’ is gonna be easy.”

One month later Drew and I sit on the Earth–Moon shuttle feeding each other our favorite candy, Chocolate Moons. We savor its rich dark chocolate coating for as long as we can before our tongues slip into the dense truffle center. We pucker our lips, kiss, and swallow. I lean back wide-eyed and look at Drew.

“These are so delicious,” I sigh, “they should be called Chocolate Chocolate Moons.”

“You’re right,” Drew says, closing his eyes and letting the last sweet morsel slide down his throat. “Can’t have too much of a good thing.”

Anne - It sounds like a fun adventure in the future! Of the characters you’ve created, does one hold a special place in your heart? Why?

Jackie - Molly Marbles, my protagonist is based on me and a woman I taught school with in the South Bronx, NY. She was funny and strong. Both of us love good food although I am not overweight.

Anne - Outside of writing, what accomplishment are you most proud of?

Jackie - I am most proud of giving my autistic son, Michael a good musical education. Today he works at the Alvin Ailey Dance Center in NYC as a pianist.

Anne – Kudos to both you and your son! Where can readers find you online?

Jackie - Please check out my website at www.jackiekingon.com. My New York Times articles and story about my son, artwork and book excerpt are there.

Anne – Thanks so much for dropping by today, Jackie. I wish you every success with the release of Chocolate Chocolate Moons.

Reader comments are always welcome and appreciated. To ensure you receive every post, update, author interview, book giveaway and more, be sure to follow the Muriel Reeves Mysteries blog. It’s as easy as a click of the mouse, and you have my eternal gratitude!

Until next time, happy reading!

* * *







3 comments:

Anne K. Albert said...

Welcome to the Muriel Reeves Mysteries, Jackie!

Gail Farrelly said...

Excellent interview. Jackie is truly a Renaissance woman.

I read Jackie's book and enjoyed it. Lots of laughs.

Rick Bylina said...

Gotta get me some of those Chocolate Chocolate Moons. Might be better than Extreme Moose Tracks.